Some of the interesting aspects of Indian English (which I realized only after coming to the US) are:
- Use of “Curd” to represent “Yogurt.”
- A student “passes out” of school, i.e., he/she graduates from school.
- The teacher takes the exam and the student gives it.
- In some areas sentences such as “I am knowing what to do” are directly derived from Hindi language.
- Relations such as “cousin-brother” and “cousin-sister.”
- “Eve teasing” to indicate sexual harassment of women by men
- “French beard” to indicate “goatee” type of beard.
- “Lakhs” to indicate 100 thousand
- “Crores” to indicate 10 million
Blogged with Flock