This blog was my first blog at blogspot.. I am just rewriting it
I have Zero knowledge about Indian classical music, and no understanding about beats/rhythms, etc. However, my friend, Ashish Deshpande pointed two things about Hindi film music:
1. A.R. Rahman is amazingly innovative and different when it comes to percussion in any of his compositions.
2. The song "Mere Humsafar" from "Refugee" has an awesome tabla rhythm (I don't know which one) throughout the song- rarely seen in Indian music.
And now, when I listen to any song, my focus is only on "percussion." So, here is my list of songs that I think have special percussion (throughout the song):
1. "Ek Hasina Thi" from "Karz".
2. "Ek Shahenshah Ne" from "Leader", "Abhi Na Jaao" from "Hum Dono" and "Jaane kahan gaye woh din" from "Mera Naam Joker" have same rhythm; I have not heard it much in recent songs!
3. The song "My name is Lakhan" seems to have only percussion. At least, I could not detect any strings in it!
It seems that it is very rare for Hindi film songs to use different/novel rhythms/taals. This does not imply that the other songs are not melodious!